Students applying to ASPIRE must be two years from graduation: juniors in college, first year Master’s students, and PhD students with two years remaining to graduation enrolled or in the process of applying to a PhD program in either NYU-Poly or NYU-Courant. Moreover, to apply for the ASPIRE scholarship, you must have applied to, been admitted to or already be a student at NYU-Poly, NYU-Courant, NYU-Wagner, NYU-Stern or NYU-Steinhardt.
ASPIRE selection committee reviews completed applications and scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Application materials will be processed as received and awarded contingent on availability. Although MS admissions deadline has passed, selection committee can still process candidates for the scholarship.
In order to be able to apply for the ASPIRE scholarship, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- To apply for ASPIRE scholarship, you must also apply to, be admitted to, or be currently enrolled at NYU-Poly, NYU-Stern, NYU-Steinhardt, NYU-Wagner or NYU-Courant
- Students already enrolled at one of the schools listed above are eligible, provided they are two years from graduation: Undergraduates in their junior year, first year graduate students, and PhD students two years prior to graduation
- Must show a passion for information security and a commitment to national and public service
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 for BS students and 3.5 for Master’s students while in the program
- Successful applicant MUST work for two years at a federal agency upon graduation, and meet selection criteria for federal employment: final job placement might require security clearances
- Demonstrate a solid foundation in one discipline, such as technical, legal, public policy, economics, or risk management
- Have a well-rounded background, including non-technical study, preferably in more than one discipline
- Applicants with nontechnical backgrounds are encouraged to apply. However, you will have to take a few cybersecurity courses to complete your ASPIRE program.
The following is the list of required documents:
- A 2-page double-spaced, 1-inch margin essay indicating past and current professional and academic experiences that demonstrate your passion for information security through a multi-disciplinary approach, and why you think ASPIRE’s curriculum will help you achieve your professional goals for working in the security field
- An up-to-date resume that highlights technical, legal, public policy, economic, risk management, military, government, or volunteer experience.
- An unofficial copy of all transcripts
- Three or more recommendation letters. You can submit them directly through the application form. Alternatively, the recommender may email the document directly to to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or set to our contact address via normal mail (at the bottom of this page)
- A signed statement saying you have applied to, or been admitted to, or are currently a student at NYU-Poly, NYU-Stern, NYU-Steinhardt, NYU-Wagner or NYU-Courant
- Read, sign and upload the below statement indicating you understand the program requirements and two year post-graduation federal service commitment. (The Principal Investigator’s signature is not required for this form). Please download the statement here.
Submitting Your Application
Application materials should be submitted through our application form. Please be ready to provide all the required documentation at this time:
If you have difficulties in submitting your application via the above link, you can also submit your application via email (please enclose all required material as attachments in your email) at the following address:
Alternatively, application materials can be mailed to:
ASPIRE Program (CRISSP Center)
Attn: Nasir Memon
Six Metrotech Center,
Brooklyn, NY 11201.